By Lauren, Eichar Photography (Photos by Ali Brassel Photography)
I'm always the one taking photos, so I get used to that nice, comfortable feeling of hiding behind my camera. I forget what it's like to be on the other side of the lens, having photos taken of me. I was reminded of that experience this summer when Jamie and I had photos taken of us by our photographer friend, Ali Brassel, for our 2 year wedding anniversary session. Here are 8 tips for your session!
1. Set your mentality for the session. You get to decide what it's really about. Jamie and I wanted to make our session about enjoying a nice, easy morning together as we started our second year of marriage. A photo shoot is the perfect time to soak in time with your partner and feel your gratitude for them. Might as well think about it as a special date in a beautiful spot with the person you love!
2. Pick a location for your session that wows you every time you walk into the space. Jamie and I picked Bowood farms for our session because we get inspired by the beautiful industrial feel of the building and windows. We love the natural light and we always get caught up in the gift shop looking at their cute details and plants that fill the space. We also picked our home... because well, we love it. :)
3. Pick outfits that make you feel awesome. Duh, I know. But it's a real thing. Wear the anthropologie dress that you've been dying to have an excuse to wear, or the hat that makes you feel trendy, that might be hard to wear out to dinner with friends. We found Jamie an awesome button up shirt the week of our shoot, and it was perfect for a between casual and dressy look. One thing we always tell our couples is to dress like you're attending the same party, so that you're either both casual or both dressy.
4. The day of your shoot, let the things you love about yourself run your day. I woke up and decided to not buy any self conscious thoughts that entered. If I had one come up when looking in the mirror, I would tell myself, nope, not today! Today is about embracing who I am and loving what I see when I look in the mirror. Okay, now how cool would it be to do that everyday!? :)
5. Incorporate things that help tell a story. We love that the feeling of our anniversary session is a morning spent at our favorite local shop and then cuddling up at home with some warm drinks and music. What are some of your favorite activities to do together as a couple?
6. Trust your photographer. Before we started the shoot, we told Ali that we trusted her completely. I’m sure she already knew that, but it helped set the tone for the session, letting her do her thing. She felt comfortable spontaneously asking us to stop and pose in different spots where the light was peaking through and she knew we were game for almost anything. Giving your photographer that full trust allows them the freedom to do their best work. That part I do know from experience. :)
7. Pay attention to the things your photographer gets excited about. About half way through the shoot, I noticed Ali would start to celebrate when ever we used our hands on each other's faces, and when Jamie would pull my hair back. Looking at the photos now, that really did make the moment feel intimate and sweet.
8. Let yourself loosen up and be weird. Okay, yes, easier said than done. When your photographer sets you up in a pose, they actually want you to be fluid within that pose: have fun giggling, whispering things to each other, and try closing your eyes to breathe in the moment. Part of trusting your photographer is knowing that they want you to look amazing and they'll be editing the photos that do make you look good. Ali pointed out anytime we had to fix our shirt or reposition our faces towards the light, so any worrying about how we looked just wasn't our job at all. She snapped away when we made our weird giggle noises and now we have photos of ourselves during this time in our lives with big, fat, authentic smiles! No self consciousness there. :)
Thanks for stopping by Lauren's Tips!! Now go plan your dream session! :)